Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Art Bell-Like Moments: Got a Story?
Wink 
OK, finally got inspired to discuss this stuff http://electric.rodeo/images/smilies/cool.png
Maybe others have similar stories? This could turn into a whopper of a thread.

In my case, the stories run from the speculative to adding some facts about Roswell that I stumbled over when doing research. You'll have to choose what to believe...

First, it was 1967 and my family was packed into a light blue metallic 1964 Bel-Air station wagon enroute from Texas to Yellowstone National Park. Even my Grandma was aboard, although she'd eventually break her ankle at the Mud Pots at our destination.

We were rolling north on the 2-lane in north-central New Mexico somewhere in the vicinity of Taos and it was mid-morning. The post-breakfast chatter had died out. I was riding shotgun up front, with one of my younger siblings siting between me and dad, who was driving.

My eye was scanning the mountainous landscape, looking it over for clues to how the road might take us over it. Suddenly, I saw a small, egg-shaped object moving quickly from right-to-left above the mountains; the orientation was with the small end of the "egg" up. It then abruptly changed course almost reversing direction but climbing at a steep angle above the previous flightpath. Then it turned again, completing a rough "Z" as it reversed again to streak sharply upward to the left again...and then out of sight.

During the course of these maneuvers, it moved smoothly but at apparent speeds and with turning movements that greatly exceeded military aircraft of the day. We were a military family and I was very familiar with current and most experimental jet aircraft from seeing them flying at low and high altitude and reading about them in magazines and seeing them on TV.

The turns were so short and quick that the G forces they would've generated on the occupants and airframe obviously exceeded familiar norms. While I had seen none flying, I was also familiar with Soviet bloc aircraft. The only thing similar at all was the slight metallic glint of the object, suggesting it was at least made of something commonly used to build aircraft that I knew about.

I considered for a moment that it was merely some odd reflection flashing around the inside of the windshield. IIRC, this was the first time I'd gotten to ride up front and the perspective was somewhat different. Possibly I'd just misinterpreted something?

Looking around, given what I'd just seen and the directions it had moved, there seemed no way for this to be simply a reflection bouncing around from glass to chrome trim to the eye. The angles of what was acting on the light as we moved through the morning rounding curves and changing course weren't right and moved too nonchalantly as the car rolled along. There must be some other explanation?

I'm not sure I have one. It moved too fast to be anything limited to this world's technology of the day. Of for that matter anything that I know flying in the years since. Yes, I was also familiar with UFOs, too, as the nation was then in the grip of what I'd regarded as simply another "UFO scare." The national Scholastic book list I looked forward to seeing at school (I was a 5th grade graduate!) even carried several selections about UFOs over the previous couple of years. I vaguely remember a TV program about UFOs on one of the 3 national networks.

But I have to honestly say I didn't believe in UFO's -- before that morning.

Because it happened so fast and I didn't trust my own eyes - or at least what they'd shown me - I said nothing to anyone else in the car. I couldn't point at it. It was GONE! They'd all kid me for the rest of the trip about "seeing the UFO." So I've only talked about this a few times with trustworthy friends over the years since. This is really the only time I think I've ever written about it. I keep an open mind. It wasn't proof of UFOs. It sure made me reconsider my previous blanket dismissal of the whole idea. You'll have to decide for yourself.
Mike
Surviving in the flat earth Midwest
(02-02-2019, 06:48 PM)rebelmike Wrote: OK, finally got inspired to discuss this stuff http://electric.rodeo/images/smilies/cool.png
Maybe others have similar stories? This could turn into a whopper of a thread.

In my case, the stories run from the speculative to adding some facts about Roswell that I stumbled over when doing research. You'll have to choose what to believe...

First, it was 1967 and my family was packed into a light blue metallic 1964 Bel-Air station wagon enroute from Texas to Yellowstone National Park. Even my Grandma was aboard, although she'd eventually break her ankle at the Mud Pots at our destination.

We were rolling north on the 2-lane in north-central New Mexico somewhere in the vicinity of Taos and it was mid-morning. The post-breakfast chatter had died out. I was riding shotgun up front, with one of my younger siblings siting between me and dad, who was driving.

My eye was scanning the mountainous landscape, looking it over for clues to how the road might take us over it. Suddenly, I saw a small, egg-shaped object moving quickly from right-to-left above the mountains; the orientation was with the small end of the "egg" up. It then abruptly changed course almost reversing direction but climbing at a steep angle above the previous flightpath. Then it turned again, completing a rough "Z" as it reversed again to streak sharply upward to the left again...and then out of sight.

During the course of these maneuvers, it moved smoothly but at apparent speeds and with turning movements that greatly exceeded military aircraft of the day. We were a military family and I was very familiar with current and most experimental jet aircraft from seeing them flying at low and high altitude and reading about them in magazines and seeing them on TV.

The turns were so short and quick that the G forces they would've generated on the occupants and airframe obviously exceeded familiar norms. While I had seen none flying, I was also familiar with Soviet bloc aircraft. The only thing similar at all was the slight metallic glint of the object, suggesting it was at least made of something commonly used to build aircraft that I knew about.

I considered for a moment that it was merely some odd reflection flashing around the inside of the windshield. IIRC, this was the first time I'd gotten to ride up front and the perspective was somewhat different. Possibly I'd just misinterpreted something?

Looking around, given what I'd just seen and the directions it had moved, there seemed no way for this to be simply a reflection bouncing around from glass to chrome trim to the eye. The angles of what was acting on the light as we moved through the morning rounding curves and changing course weren't right and moved too nonchalantly as the car rolled along. There must be some other explanation?

I'm not sure I have one. It moved too fast to be anything limited to this world's technology of the day. Of for that matter anything that I know flying in the years since. Yes, I was also familiar with UFOs, too, as the nation was then in the grip of what I'd regarded as simply another "UFO scare." The national Scholastic book list I looked forward to seeing at school (I was a 5th grade graduate!) even carried several selections about UFOs over the previous couple of years. I vaguely remember a TV program about UFOs on one of the 3 national networks.

But I have to honestly say I didn't believe in UFO's -- before that morning.

Because it happened so fast and I didn't trust my own eyes - or at least what they'd shown me - I said nothing to anyone else in the car. I couldn't point at it. It was GONE! They'd all kid me for the rest of the trip about "seeing the UFO." So I've only talked about this a few times with trustworthy friends over the years since. This is really the only time I think I've ever written about it. I keep an open mind. It wasn't proof of UFOs. It sure made me reconsider my previous blanket dismissal of the whole idea. You'll have to decide for yourself.

I'm an empath.
(02-04-2019, 08:18 AM)peregrine Wrote: I'm an empath.

Interesting. I know that an empath is generally someone who is highly sensitive to the feelings and emotions of others. But then the definition varies and it seems it depends on the context. Sometimes this is seen as a sort of disability, but in many cases it refers to someone who applies their powers in various ways to help others. Maybe this would be obvious to a regular listener of Art Bell, but I really never did listen to him. So I have to ask...What sort of empath are you?
Mike
(02-04-2019, 03:59 PM)rebelmike Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 08:18 AM)peregrine Wrote: I'm an empath.

Interesting. I know that an empath is generally someone who is highly sensitive to the feelings and emotions of others. But then the definition varies and it seems it depends on the context. Sometimes this is seen as a sort of disability, but in many cases it refers to someone who applies their powers in various ways to help others. Maybe this would be obvious to a regular listener of Art Bell, but I really never did listen to him. So I have to ask...What sort of empath are you?

The kind you just described. I never really listened to Art Bell either but, there are people out there with powers and most don't even know it. And, they are more of a curse and at times can be debilitating.
peregrine,
Thanks, I understand. It sounded like it could be a blessing and a curse. I would not describe myself as an empath, but it's been suggested that I am sensitive to the needs of others. Most of us could use a little more of that, so you can at least feel good that you're not in the sometime borderline sociopathic "it's all about me" crowd.

That happens to bring to mind one of the things that I really like about the Electric Rodeo and Shooter. He is always generous with giving others credit and encouragement. He discusses things that he's involved with with humility and grace. Not that he pulls any punches when they are deserved, but he's also fair about his criticism, something a lot of folks who we hear much too much about on a daily basis could take some lessons from. In short, despite the mostly one-way nature of the medium {and this site of a good counterexample of how even there walls are coming down), Shooter does a great job of treating it like a conversation with someone he's cares about. It's certainly a weekly demonstration of the power of empathy helping us choose the right path.

I am gathering some materials for the Roswell story and hope to get to it soon, although this week looks busy.
Mike
(02-05-2019, 03:20 PM)rebelmike Wrote: peregrine,
Thanks, I understand. It sounded like it could be a blessing and a curse. I would not describe myself as an empath, but it's been suggested that I am sensitive to the needs of others. Most of us could use a little more of that, so you can at least feel good that you're not in the sometime borderline sociopathic "it's all about me" crowd.

That happens to bring to mind one of the things that I really like about the Electric Rodeo and Shooter. He is always generous with giving others credit and encouragement. He discusses things that he's involved with with humility and grace. Not that he pulls any punches when they are deserved, but he's also fair about his criticism, something a lot of folks who we hear much too much about on a daily basis could take some lessons from. In short, despite the mostly one-way nature of the medium {and this site of a good counterexample of how even there walls are coming down), Shooter does a great job of treating it like a conversation with someone he's cares about. It's certainly a weekly demonstration of the power of empathy helping us choose the right path.

I am gathering some materials for the Roswell story and hope to get to it soon, although this week looks busy.

I couldn't have said that any better. And, I was wondering, based on your previous post if you weren't an empath too. It took me years to figure out what was wrong with me and then once I realized what was going on it made life easier knowing that I could help others but, there was a price to pay.
I'm not sure that I would call myself an empath, but I'm certainly influenced a great deal by the needs of others for emotional support as well as sensitive to the perceptions of others. I've been in a few places where I've been able to encourage this sort of thing in others, too.

I guess my personal feeling about the power of empathy is that we live in a society that often suffers from a lack of empathy. While I appreciate the fact that it's good when people are motivated to take care of themselves, but we only live in a better world when we take care of others.
Mike
I only was able to hear the first maybe an hour of this Art Bell broadcast.
Is there a way to obtain a recorded copy, or a podcast I can listen too?
My schedule doesn't always have me near the radio at regular times.

BTW, what I did listen to, was great.
SiriusXm episodes are available "on demand" for 2 weeks post airing. The most recent replay was about 4 weeks ago, so it has expired and I don't know of any other way to hear it. You heard about half the episode. Shooter mentioned possibly leaving it up on demand indefinitely, but the powers that be at Sirius would have to make the final call, I'm guessing.

I have an Art Bell like moment, but need to go get ready for work...will tell it later. It's amazing how when you tell these stories to other people, they don't want to hear it.

Speaking of empaths, I should be one, but don't think I am. Meaning, I've taken the Meyers Briggs and I'm an INFJ, which is only 1% of the population. Many INFJs are empaths. While I get that I'm different than most people, and have felt like an outsider my whole life, I am very perceptive and intuitive. But not to the extent of being an empath. I will say that I can typically chameleon myself to find common interests with most people and make them feel very at ease in my presence. But I don't retain close personal friendships because I build very thick walls around myself.
Okay, Art Bell story later!
(04-01-2019, 03:00 AM)bethany1972 Wrote: SiriusXm episodes are available "on demand" for 2 weeks post airing. The most recent replay was about 4 weeks ago, so it has expired and I don't know of any other way to hear it. You heard about half the episode. Shooter mentioned possibly leaving it up on demand indefinitely, but the powers that be at Sirius would have to make the final call, I'm guessing.

I have an Art Bell like moment, but need to go get ready for work...will tell it later. It's amazing how when you tell these stories to other people, they don't want to hear it.

Speaking of empaths, I should be one, but don't think I am. Meaning, I've taken the Meyers Briggs and I'm an INFJ, which is only 1% of the population. Many INFJs are empaths. While I get that I'm different than most people, and have felt like an outsider my whole life, I am very perceptive and intuitive. But not to the extent of being an empath. I will say that I can typically chameleon myself to find common interests with most people and make them feel very at ease in my presence. But I don't retain close personal friendships because I build very thick walls around myself.
Okay, Art Bell story later!

Okay, for us uneducated about technical terms, what is an INFJ?