Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music from the Cults?
Long time listener - first time writer. I stumbled on the eRodeo when I first got Sirius. I did that because I wanted to listen to Steve Earle (who I went to jr high with for one year, but did not know him as he was an 8th grader and I was in 7th). And there Shooter's show was as a lead in on Sat. nights, so I really found the whole deal quote satisfying. Shooter's taste in music just fits mine so well, despite a couple decades difference in age, it really appealed and listening to Outlaw Country on Saturday nights became a long time habit.

One of the things that's really hooked me has been the occasional tasty cut of Blue Oyster Cult. I've always thought of Astronomy as one of the Top Ten R&R Metal cuts of all time and that just melted me in my tracks when it has showed up. Wouldn't mind hearing it again or Then Came the Last Days of May or really anything off those first three classic BOC albums...more cow bell, before more cow bell came along an album or two later. That was the music I partied to during my high school years.

Then there is straight up The Cult. I had a couple of their albums, lost them in a fire and they just never got replaced on CD (unlike BOC) so that's all a little hazy to me now other than looking up the discography. Seems like they might have a tune or two that would fit the show. Once again, take yer pick because I ain't that picky when it comes to great rockin' tunes.

Anyway, something to chew on. Thanks for setting up this forum!
Mike
Surviving in the flat earth Midwest
Man, love some BOC and The Cult.
I dig the fact that Blue Oyster Cult was a huge influence on Black Ribbons (according to Beyond the Black :-)
Love some This Ain't the Summer of Love and all the usual suspects.

The Cult with Fire Woman is legit. So is Painted on my Heart. Astbury is just a bad ass singer.

I nearly always use a bed in one of my breaks that is a loop made from the song that Ian Astbury sang on Tony Iommi's album "Iommi". Check the song if you ain't heard it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R13_UM_jwW0
One of my favorites, as well as the one from the album with Billy Idol singing.
Brad,
Thanks for the tip on Ian Astbury singing on Iommi's Flame On. I had to do some catching up on Astbury, the fellow gets around and just won't rest. Never knew about his inspirational creative connection to The Doors and "The End" - one historic cut there, for sure. I used to sing a pretty mean version of The End -- in the privacy of my room Smile

My Black Sabbath history goes back almost that far. We were in Europe -- my dad was an Air Force officer -- when Sabbath was really getting rolling. My brother is also a big Sabbath fan. I remember cranking War Pigs back in my bro's room one afternoon and my dad getting PO-ed at the song, saying he'd done plenty to save the world that we didn't know about, so he thought the song was more than a little unfair.

And boy, was he right about what he'd been up to, which I found out about only decades later. Turns out dad worked in the Air Force's beyond Top Secret nuclear intelligence unit, which I only discovered in the late 90s after I went back to college and mom sent me a clipping from the paper about it finally being declassified so those in it could at least admit to their families what they'd been up to on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of its founding. Besides intel, the unit, AFTAC, also maintains the monitoring networks that verify nuclear arms control treaties are observed.

I went on to get my PhD by doing research on the whole deal, with my dissertation being one of the few works yet published about this extraordinarily sensitive subject. The two biggest secret topics in the Cold War were nuclear weapons and intelligence. Combine the two and you've got double-plus secrecy, which is why it took so long to surface and then in only partial form until I worked on it.

If you're curious about why we really stopped testing those things in the atmosphere, it's because they discovered it wouldn't take a very big nuclear war at all to poison the planet. It's a free download here if you're bored and want to have something to worry about to keep you awake at night: https://www.researchgate.net/publication...64_Revised

So, it was Black Sabbath that inspired my dad's only the slightest of security violations I can recall about his work -- one that didn't become clear to me what he was even referring to until starting my research some three decades later. "War Pigs" quite unfortunately remains relevant.

And that reminds me of another potentially great thematic show with lots of musical possibilities, the "Nuclear Electric Rodeo." Bear Family put out a great collection of nuclear war-inspired music, which has a rather large contingent of country marching through it, like the Louvin Brothers, etc, which might be a good starting point for a playlist for some apocalyptic rocking outlaw fun.
Mike
Cool idea for a show, Mike! I'd much rather listen to a Nuclear Electric Rodeo than try to survive one.

Where did you live in Europe back then? My best guess would be either Rammstein (Kaiserslautern), Germany or Aviano, Italy. Am I close? Only reason I ask is because I lived in the Czech Republic (it was Czechoslovakia when I moved there with the Peace Corps in 1991) and I used to go visit my sister and bro-in-law when they were stationed in K-Town (there was a Taco Bell there...SCORE!). That was a long drive for tacos, but it was always worth it back then.
When I was a senior at K-town High, my government teacher went to Czechoslovakia withe his passport picture showing his beard. He made the mistake of shaving it off! Almost didn't make it back to teach after Xmas. Those border guards were pretty strict folks in the early 70s. It made for a great story in government class.

Ramstein was where we were last. We been sent to Wiesbaden and I thought I was going to graduate from WHS, but then after 2 years Gen. David Jones decided that HQ USAFE would be more combat ready on the WEST side of the Rhein. You can drive it in an hour, so not too much safer from Soviet nukes, but I digress. My last semester was spent at K-town, then I got a job working in the commissary so I could keep myself in concert tickets, stereo gear, vinyl, and cassettes for our last year there.

We actually lived at Sembach, which was one rocking place at that time, due to lack of housing at Ramstein. Had a GF there, so was familiar with the place, but it was probably much more modern in 91 than when it was an old fighter base splitting at the seems while trying to digest a major AF HQ. No Taco Bell, then, it was even pre-McDonalds. We did have the terrorist Olympics, though, which was just a little freaky, as well as various Baader-Meinhof stuff going on. Life was interesting as Vietnam wound down.

BTW, have a buddy who was Peace Corps in the late 1980s in Paraguay.

So yes, also visited Aviano, just remember it had much better mountains than Wiesbaden! It was just getting upgraded after a consolidation of units there, where the previous focus had been Leghorn on the west coast. We went on to Venice from there, then to Rome and circled back up to Germany. I think we crossed that bridge that fell down in Milan, it's just that I don't have a 1972 map to confirm that was the most direct route after we'd spent the night near the harbor in a hotel. It didn't fall down for us, but it was young then...and so was I.

Speaking of concert tickets, this was the time of my life when I most went to see live acts, because tickets were cheap and the music was good. My very first real concert was the Rolling Stones in Frankfurt on the 73 tour, when Keith supposedly got his blood filtered in Switzerland. All I know is that set a pretty high bar. There were these others.
ELP
Jethro Tull
Yes
Canned Heat
Then back in the world...
Stones 75
Who
BOC

There's more, just can't remember right now. I'm sure I'm not his oldest fan, but there's some material to mine whenever some thing old is needed to satisfy some one old.
Mike
Love this! You were a decade ahead of me. Interesting times to say the least. One thing is for sure...we both had unique experiences. You were there at the end of the Cold War. I was there at the end of the Wall and the beginning of the Velvet Revolution. We lived a special kind of history. Cheers to that!
I like it when you play your own songs. My personal favorite is living in a minor key.
(11-23-2018, 09:58 PM)joelawinn Wrote: Love this! You were a decade ahead of me. Interesting times to say the least. One thing is for sure...we both had unique experiences. You were there at the end of the Cold War. I was there at the end of the Wall and the beginning of the Velvet Revolution. We lived a special kind of history. Cheers to that!

Joe,
Those were indeed special times we lived through. I even managed to realize I helped make a little tiny bit of history a rime or two. We all do that, although many often think they have no effect on how history turns out.

I'd even argue that much of the Jennings family mojo is based on the belief that we all have a choice in making on own histories, no matter who we are. These songs are often tales of people reaching deep inside themselves and finding the often consequential power to make choices that move a story forward, for better or worse. Things don't always turn out well, but that's how life and the choices made over what to do in living it often turns out.

That's at the core here and then a show falls into place around that for me. It could almost be called the Eclectic Rodeo. Outlaw is certainly the thinking person's country.

Time for more of my musical background, based on shows I attended in the 70s.
Johnny Cash (w/ June Carter Cash at the Indiana State Fair)
Pink Floyd
Uriah Heep
Outlaws
Kansas

Saw Dylan (finally!) in the 80s, plus others then and later:
CSN
Steve Earle

I regret missing a lot, most of which is gone except for the memories, although for those on this list who are still living, there is still hope, I suppose.
Beatles (any of them)
Black Sabbath
Bob Marley
Grateful Dead
David Bowie
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Willie N.
Neil Young (who I fanatically collect, but which I've yet to be in the same place with money when tickets nearby can be found)
Mike
Tonight I'm at home listening to Shooter rock us on the Electric Rodeo. Got my request for some Cult and Rain couldn't be more suitable for tonight. It's December 1 and raining here in Flat Earthville. Quarter-sized hail is coming down somewhere nearby according to the scanner, along with a couple of tornadoes, with at least one causing "major damage." Just got the groceries unpacked. Next up is getting the Xmas lights down from the attic. There's a giant star about 2' wide/tall I made by soldering up some brass rod and getting all the 700 or so lights on it working. Just the sort of job that Outlaw Country will he me get through the night with.
Mike
The star was a relatively easy repair. Today we got the lights up on the outside tree after dark after getting the big red star bungeed onto the top just before dusk. Then it was round and round with lots of lights and our big red Xmas tree was done. Then I repeated listening to Sat's show as I hung the wife's Star Trek ornament collection.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x...5Po7vB.jpg

I'm dedicating this pic to all those on the road during the holidays. Some people spend much of their lives working on the road. For others, it's a long road home to see the kin for Christmas. Others have different things to celebrate, whether religious or secular. May everyone find their way home safely and the love you cherish when you get home, if you can, or hope at least to see those you care about soon. If you can give those with little hope or succor in some way, along the way, you too will be rewarded in turn. Be kind to each other and the road will be shorter and the grade easier.
Mike