Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Are You Listening on a Saturday Night?
This thread might make for an interesting study in contrasts, as well as help us all get to know a little bit better who we're hanging with. Where are you listening to Shooter delivering the Outlaw Country goods via The Electric Rodeo on a Saturday night?

I'm getting old and slow, so I'm usually listening at home. This Saturday is different for me, as it may often be on a holiday for many of us. Maybe you'll be listening in some wild, remote location, so want to post up in advance?

This weekend, I'll be away from home, but not far. I'm going to be doing the access/parking/security for the team bus parking along Peabody Drive at the Illinois High School Athletic Association Championship Football Games. Sixteen teams from around the state will play in eight different classes in nearby University of Illinois Memorial Stadium.

I'll be sure to have my SiriusXM receiver with me, plugged into the Landcruiser's sound system so I can enjoy a great Saturday evening of Outlaw Country. Supposed to be 51 and 30% chance of rain, so will be more comfortable than it could be this time of year.

Where will you be tuning in?
Mike
Surviving in the flat earth Midwest
Hey rebelmike, very cool topic for a thread. I live in the vicinity of Portland, Oregon (technically Vancouver, Washington which is just across the Columbia River from downtown Portland, but when I say Vancouver most people get it confused with the Canadian Vancouver). Living on the West Coast we get to listen to Electric Rodeo in the middle of Saturday afternoon (3pm). It's fun to listen live, but I've found that I end up listening On Demand more often than not or catching the Sunday or Wednesday night replays. It's pretty cool to be driving through the Cascade Mountains or up the beautiful coast of the Pacific North West listening to the best weekly radio show out there. I'm driving to Seattle tomorrow to see a Ryan Bingham show on Sunday so I can guarantee you I'll be listening to the live show (or maybe a replay?) while I'm toolin up I-5. Cheers to you and hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the very kind comments!
Portland! Have you been to visit the Blueback at the PMSI (it's home there IIRC)? It's got a very close family connection in several ways. Maybe I'll tell that story sometime, but it was the sub they let Tom Clancy sail on when he was doing the research for Red October.

They do let you rent that out for overnight visits. Not sure about SiriusXM reception in there? Maybe some special arrangements can be made? Now that would be one wild spot to hold a listening party, but maybe the mid-afternoon time there might make it too early?

Anyway, just some crazy thinking about where and when people may come up with to contribute a unique post in this thread. I do appreciate the time zone shift that makes "Saturday Night" kinda relative. Let's just say everyone who listens and wants to check in from time time for Saturday nights can start here. If we need more elbow room, then maybe someone can take the initiative and start the West Coast Crew or whatever. It could go way later, too. What about all those fans in Newfoundland? I offer it up as a general frame if people want to use that, but feel no need to check with me to do some other hang out. If anyone feels the urge to hang with the time zone homies, go for it.

Now the Sunday replay? I think that rates it's own thread for those who must or prefer to hear it then. It just strikes me as different in some cosmic way to listen on Sunday. Not attractively profane or anything like that, just different. Sometimes I have to miss the Saturday delivery and I only do sat, so have to catch the Sunday night or if gets complicated. But I feel like there's going to be a different energy to Sunday evening regular listener feedback and discussion, one that deserves its own space. On the other hand, I welcome their participation here. Maybe everyone wants just one threat like this? We'll let the people decide.

Fundamental in this is what's the time zone spread here. I suspect there's no sat coverage in Beijeng, for instance, and does Outlaw Country manage to make it through the Great Firewall? I don't know, but have enough international listening experience to make me wonder want the answer is? It's a great big world out there. I know that Shooter does Europe from time to time and who knows what I've missed (Australia possibly?) or what the future might hold? It's a big, big world with lots of fans everywhere -- and every time zone there is -- with the internet.
Mike
Mike, a lot to unpack here, especially since I've had a few, but to answer your first question the answer is yes! I am familiar with the sub you are talking about. I tried to post a pic here, but I don't think that's an option, but also part of the charm. Maybe check out this link: https://twitter.com/joelandrewwinn/statu...5301586945
As far as the rest is concerned...man, time is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just glad I can listen when I am able. I'm sure you can relate.
I would love to have some electric rodeo merchandise.
Yo Dudes!
It's cool to read about people from all different parts of the country listening to the ER. I myself listen on demand most of the time. As I go back and forth between Erwin, Tennessee and North Hollywood, CA. So I like to save my radio listening time for the drive to and from the airport.

Or if I'm not traveling, then I like to listen at home (in either place). Because that way I can crank up my speakers as loud as they will go. In Tennessee, my neighbors are away from me a bit as I live up in the mountains and the volume is not a problem. But when I'm in my apartment in California, my downstairs neighbor usually calls the building security on me for having it up too loud. Haha.
Listening again to the Electric Rodeo on a Sunday night, as I missed a lot last night when I was working as bus boss. It was really cool to get all those requests addressed, not just mine. Pretty cool to get a call-out on the Electric Rodeo, no matter how you slice it.

Just a FYI, my handle has nothing to do with anyone's lost cause. A buddy of mine bestowed that on me many years ago and I just went with rebelmike when it came time to get a email screen name back in the 90s. He's no longer with us, but I was a regular contributor to support his reggae show on our local community radio station, which is where I was first christened with the name in part due to my long history as a local political activist. We also did a few festivals together here in the Midwest when I was part of a traveling group that did security for hemp fests back before the politics started catching up with where the people were on this subject. We traveled together although his gig was all about cooking something tasty up to feed the masses. Chef Ra is better known as the man with the psychoactive recipes who appeared in High Times for many years before he was taken from us too soon. Thus, the rebel in rebelmike is 100% Rastafarian, just so you know.

Even when Shooter and his crew are adding more music unprompted by listener requests, they still manage to hit the nail on the head, playing me something I didn't even know I needed. Waylon's version of House of the Rising Son was very cool. My Guatemalan ex-GF used to play and sing that, so it brought back a real mix of memories, good and bad, but that's life and it was much appreciated how that touched a memory for me. Just another reason why I keep listening to the Electric Rodeo.
Mike
(11-23-2018, 09:52 PM)joelawinn Wrote: Mike, a lot to unpack here, especially since I've had a few, but to answer your first question the answer is yes! I am familiar with the sub you are talking about. I tried to post a pic here, but I don't think that's an option, but also part of the charm. Maybe check out this link: https://twitter.com/joelandrewwinn/statu...5301586945
As far as the rest is concerned...man, time is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just glad I can listen when I am able. I'm sure you can relate.

Joe,
Now that's a great pic! BTW, my wife is a big fan of New Belgium, with the Hemperor being a recent favorite, but she has long been a follower of the Fat Tire and the Voodoo Ranger. Her connection is that she got to sleep for free onboard the 581, back when her dad was captain and put the last of several E's on her.

Me? I saw her before either of them put a foot aboard. The year is 1960 and the place is the Panama Canal Zone. This minute-long clip is ripped from family 8mm film:
https://vimeo.com/197718905

Something that should be said about living in West Germany in the early 1970s, just to take a little luster off all the cool factor, is that we were basically a trip wire in case the USSR started anything. It would be bad enough to nuke some of our troops in the event of war. But anything of that nature would also have affected the American families living there. This was one of the realizations that really caused me to think more deeply about life and its possibilities.

But life goes on, even in the face of such potential apocalyptic outcomes. One sign of this was the musical talent that passed through at one time or another.

Elvis in the Army is the one everyone knows well, based on the movie that resulted.

But Johnny Cash served also, in the Air Force as a Morse code intercept operator. It's been reported that Cash was the very first to hear of the death of Stalin because of his catching that message during one of what were many otherwise pretty boring listening sessions.

Kris Kristofferson flew Army helos in Germany in the mid-60s. My mechanical drawing teacher in 10th grade had somehow served with Kristofferson, so listening to the albums up to that point in his career served to introduce me to his music as I drew my assigned plans.

A great place to learn more about this Cold War incubator for rock'n and country music is a site by a friend, Walter Elkins: http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm
Mike
(11-25-2018, 11:50 PM)rebelmike Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 09:52 PM)joelawinn Wrote: Mike, a lot to unpack here, especially since I've had a few, but to answer your first question the answer is yes! I am familiar with the sub you are talking about. I tried to post a pic here, but I don't think that's an option, but also part of the charm. Maybe check out this link: https://twitter.com/joelandrewwinn/statu...5301586945

Joe,
Now that's a great pic! BTW, my wife is a big fan of New Belgium, with the Hemperor being a recent favorite, but she has long been a follower of the Fat Tire and the Voodoo Ranger. Her connection is that she got to sleep for free onboard the 581, back when her dad was captain and put the last of several E's on her.

Me? I saw her before either of them put a foot aboard. The year is 1960 and the place is the Panama Canal Zone. This minute-long clip is ripped from family 8mm film:

Something that should be said about living in West Germany in the early 1970s, just to take a little luster off all the cool factor, is that we were basically a trip wire in case the USSR started anything. It would be bad enough to nuke some of our troops in the event of war. But anything of that nature would also have affected the American families living there. This was one of the realizations that really caused me to think more deeply about life and its possibilities.

But life goes on, even in the face of such potential apocalyptic outcomes. One sign of this was the musical talent that passed through at one time or another.

Elvis in the Army is the one everyone knows well, based on the movie that resulted.

But Johnny Cash served also, in the Air Force as a Morse code intercept operator. It's been reported that Cash was the very first to hear of the death of Stalin because of his catching that message during one of what were many otherwise pretty boring listening sessions.

Kris Kristofferson flew Army helos in Germany in the mid-60s. My mechanical drawing teacher in 10th grade had somehow served with Kristofferson, so listening to the albums up to that point in his career served to introduce me to his music as I drew my assigned plans.

A great place to learn more about this Cold War incubator for rock'n and country music is a site by a friend, Walter Elkins: http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

Mike-
You just officially blew my mind! First, knowing that your wife's father was a captain of 581 gave me goosebumps. That's effin amazing!!! Second, the 1960 video you sent of the sub from the Panama Canal was AMAZING!!! The picture I sent you of me up next to her was from a couple years back when I took my kayak down the Willamette past downtown and paddled past all the bridges. The sub was a super cool highpoint from that trip, but I never realized I'd be making a connection re: 581 on the Electric Rodeo website. How cool is that? Shooter and Brad, are you seeing this? I think we may need a submarine themed show now.
Mike, is the film you sent me from the Panama Canal widely available or is that a personal film? Would you mind if I shared it with OMSI (you had referenced PMSI...it's actually OMSI)? If they don't have that video I bet they'd love to have it.
Again, thanks for sharing all that. I'm blown away. SO COOL!!!
Joel

(11-26-2018, 08:45 PM)joelawinn Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 11:50 PM)rebelmike Wrote:

Joe,

Mike-
You just officially blew my mind! First, knowing that your wife's father was a captain of 581 gave me goosebumps. That's effin amazing!!! Second, the 1960 video you sent of the sub from the Panama Canal was AMAZING!!! The picture I sent you of me up next to her was from a couple years back when I took my kayak down the Willamette past downtown and paddled past all the bridges. The sub was a super cool highpoint from that trip, but I never realized I'd be making a connection re: 581 on the Electric Rodeo website. How cool is that? Shooter and Brad, are you seeing this? I think we may need a submarine themed show now.
Mike, is the film you sent me from the Panama Canal widely available or is that a personal film? Would you mind if I shared it with OMSI (you had referenced PMSI...it's actually OMSI)? If they don't have that video I bet they'd love to have it.
Again, thanks for sharing all that. I'm blown away. SO COOL!!!
Joel

Mike-I forgot to thank you and the missus for supporting our beers and brewery. We are a 100% employee-owned independent craft brewery and we do a lot of good for people and the environment here in the USA. You can feel good about supporting our brewery. Most importantly, though, I'm really glad you enjoy our beers. Without that all the rest is irrelevant. Much appreciated! Cheers!, Joel
Hi Joel,
The video is a clip from a family film collection on 8mm that runs from 1956 to 1972 that we digitized a few years back and I added narration to. It's a work in progress as a whole, but I really should try to get the whole thing up as it stands onto Vimeo, now that you mention it. I've since switched to Mac from Windows so have to figure that out

Yes, it is OMSI I was referring to. However, they already have a clip of it. I'm not sure if they've ever made use of it. We've not had a chance to visit the 581 yet, but it will happen, so perhaps it's in use? It's possible they made a copy and are using it that way, but the total views are less than 50 since I posted it a couple of years ago. I did grant OMSI full license to use it as they saw fit, because it's the right thing to do as a historian.

Feel free to share it. A recent acquaintance used to be into RC submarines and he introduced me to that realm, where I found there's a RC model kit available to build the Blueback. It's not in the budget these days, but with the hassle it getting to be to fly a drone, I may be there someday. There's a forum for such craft and I think I'll join it someday and intro the video there. Right now, that's my only plans for its distribution beyond giving OMSI access.

BTW, that's a great selfie with 581 for being done in a kayak.
Mike