Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter S Thompson
Hey Shooter,
I love the show and your music. Your show is literally the only reason I keep Sirius XM. But enough ass kissing and down to business. I have an idea for a show. Since we are winding down this election cycle getting ready to start another one (ugh & yuck) I think it would be proper to pay tribute to the outlaw journalist, Hunter Stockton Thompson. He would definitely have some choice words for all the swine seeking to propel themselves to power.

This year I have read "Generation of Swine," "The Great Shark Hunt," and "Fear and Loathing: Campaign '72". And they have held up as defiant poetry and given some of his claims; it could be fair to say he is the father of 'truthful hyperbole.' Given the political climate, we are in it would be cool to hear some of his favorite songs. Here are some suggestions.

Bob Dylan- Mr. Tambourine Man (He wanted this played at his memorial service)

Norman Greenbaum- Spirit in the Sky

Rolling Stones- Let it Bleed (This is said to have been one of the songs he was listening to as he wrote "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas")

Warren Zevon- Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Grateful Dead- New Speedway Boogie (Of the song, he said, “It says more than anything I’ve read in five years.”)

For the Waylon Muther Fuckin Rocks Block:
Black Rose (because he quoted these lyrics in his writings)
Outlaw Shit from Waylon Forever (because that's my personal favorite)

This is a starting point because he loved music, as he as famous for listening to music as he wrote. Thanks for the show. I look forward to hearing what ideas you could come up with.

The Dude Abides,
Kebo

Oh yea. and I forgot one of the most important artists in John Prine. Look up Bill Murray talking about the three of thems' relationship. It will give you a new perspective on "Sweet Revenge." Hunter gave John the idea for a couple of lines in that song.
Now I'm wondering about what is essentially a trivia question: Did Hunter S. ever have any opportunity for personal interaction with Shooter or Waylon?

Even if not, it could make for a great "if only" buddy/road movie script, one of those if you could only be a fly on the wall to see the sparks of enlightenment fly between the great minds involved...
Mike
Surviving in the flat earth Midwest
Rebel Mike that's a great idea for a 'Stoner Noir' genre comedy.

And Shooter, Thanks for the plays this week(insert thumbs up emoji here)
Yo Shooter,
I just heard this week's ER. Thanks for the block devoted to this post.

As my fiance and I were listening to the show this week, she hears you say my handle of kebo19 and start to talk about Hunter S Thompson (HST). At which point she turns to me and says "Wow! What are the chances there is another Kebo that loves HST?"

She is the smartest woman I know but sometimes for her to realize something is like a boomerang. She misses it at first but then it hits her out of nowhere. So after her initial statement...

There is a silence as she listens to you read the electronic message. And once she hears the mistakes in my writings, she says "Oh My God, Honey that's you!" another silence. Then "You have really got to work on your punctuation." And then we both had a good laugh.

Thanks again!
Kebo,
Punctuation is over-rated on the internet...until you get quoted. Smile)

Great story. BTW, when I came up from the basement man-cave and mentioned how cool it was that Shooter had mentioned my handle on air, she said, "So that was you!"

Neat to find a fellow HST fan here. My intro was reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail bit by bit in the Rolling Stone. I had just started reading RS when HST showed up and taught me that going gonzo was where I needed to be if I was going to be a journalist. So far, it's never paid the bills, but I'm also not HST. I've done some interesting pieces over the years, free-lancing for my own satisfaction. None of this got too serious until the computer came along. Me, typewriters and carbon paper never got along. And then I ended up as a journalist of the past, a historian. But I wouldn't be where I am, wherever that is, without the example of Hunter S. Thompson. There's just too much to be outraged about to do any less than let that pony run when you have a good story.
Mike
Surviving in the flat earth Midwest
(11-25-2018, 10:04 AM)kebo19 Wrote: Yo Shooter,
I just heard this week's ER. Thanks for the block devoted to this post.

As my fiance and I were listening to the show this week, she hears you say my handle of kebo19 and start to talk about Hunter S Thompson (HST). At which point she turns to me and says "Wow! What are the chances there is another Kebo that loves HST?"

She is the smartest woman I know but sometimes for her to realize something is like a boomerang. She misses it at first but then it hits her out of nowhere. So after her initial statement...

There is a silence as she listens to you read the electronic message. And once she hears the mistakes in my writings, she says "Oh My God, Honey that's you!" another silence. Then "You have really got to work on your punctuation." And then we both had a good laugh.

Thanks again!

Ha! I also read like an idiot sometimes. I often have to take punctuation out to read correctly. When Brad and I were doing the Beyond the Black series, I had to do so many takes of my reading because I wanted it to sound perfect. Each episode took me about 4 hours to read haha. Thanks for writing such thoughtful entries, it stimulates my mind and gets flow going on in the show. Really happy to have this forum now. Thanks to everyone for participating!
awesome idea,always thought hunter was brilliant,love his quote when the going gets weird the weird turn pro